At this moment in time, the world is becoming a huge platform for online learning. I agree that there are many pros and cons to this method of delivery. I know that some of you love it and some don’t. At this point in time, any former thoughts or attitudes toward online learning don’t matter too much because we have no choice.
I’d like to offer you some solid tips for being a successful online learner:
- Embrace the online learning experience the best you can.
- Have a positive attitude. As you know, your attitude toward anything will drive how satisfied you are in the end.
- You MUST schedule time to dedicate to your learning. You can’t have the attitude that you’ll get to it when you have time. We all know how that goes.
- Eliminate distractions! Besides being in a physical space that is conducive to learning, eliminate other distractions that would not be permitted in a traditional learning environment, i.e., your music and phone.
- Advocate for yourself and ask questions when you don’t understand. Don’t let the online learning compromise your education. Your instructor wants to help you. Trust me!
- Give it 100%! Again, as with anything you do, if you don’t give it 100%, you will not be happy with the results.
- Enjoy the opportunity to evolve as an independent learner. As an online student, you develop time management skills, communication skills, and you get really good at reading and following instruction. These are life skills that are applicable to many, many other life experiences.
So yes, online learning may be new and different. For some of you, it may not be your first choice. But, I truly believe that if embraced with an open mind, you will have a really positive experience. You will enjoy the freedom and the autonomy, and you will not skip a beat on your journey toward greatness. So I challenge you to forge ahead with dogged determination, and you will be just fine!